Planning & Design
Learn more about our plans for the future of the County Airport System.
The Sacramento County Airport System Planning and Design division is responsible for planning, design and construction activities for the four airports in the system: SMF, SAC, MHR and F72. Planning and Design is comprised of three sections:
The Sacramento County Airport Division Planning and Environment section is responsible for: master plans, environmental review and compliance, noise, wildlife management, hazardous materials, recycling, sustainability, federal grants and airport land acquisition programs.
What is a master plan?
An airport master plan is a plan for development over the course of the next 20 years. Airport master plans include the following elements:
- A vision set forth by the airport owner and interested parties;
- An inventory of existing facilities, activity, and other areas of regional interest;
- Forecasts of airport activity including projected levels of passengers, aircraft operations;
- Demand/Capacity and Facility Requirements for airfield, terminal, roadway, parking, general aviation, cargo, other aviation-related uses, and non-aviation-related uses;
- Development and evaluation of alternatives that could provide the level of facilities needed to meet the projected demand;
- A recommended development plan based on the most favorable development option;
- An environmental overview identifying environmental issues and constraints that must be taken into consideration;
- A capital improvement program that projects capital costs and potential funding resources for implementation of the recommended airport improvements; and
- A public involvement program that allows interested parties an opportunity to express their concerns and obtain information for the master plan update process and status.
The Sacramento County Airport System Design and Development section is responsible for: engineering, design, project management, job-order contracting, and CAD/mapping.Contract Opportunities
The Sacramento County Airport System Construction Management section is responsible for: project delivery, inspection and compliance.
Projects, Plans and Studies
- Collaborative Flood Protection
- Staff Report – Master Agreement With Sacramento Area Flood Control Agency
- Regional Transit Downtown Natomas Airport ‘Green Line to the Airport’
Sacramento International Airport Master Plan
2014 Draft Master Plan
Materials will be posted as they are prepared.
2007 Airport Master Plan
- For information on the Master Plan, view documents relating to Item #63 on the Sacramento County Board of Supervisors Agenda from July 17, 2007.
- SMF Table of Contents (PDF) – Download
- Chapter 1 Introduction Final draft (PDF) – Download
- Chapter 2 Inventory Final draft (PDF) – Download
- Chapter 3 Forecasts final draft (PDF) – Download
- Chapter 4 Facility Requirement final draft (PDF) – Download
- Chapter 5 Airfield Alts (PDF) – Download
- Chapter 6 Terminal Alts (PDF) – Download
- Chapter 7 Environmental Overview (PDF) – Download
- Chapter 8 Airport Plans (PDF) – Download
- Appendix A (PDF) – Download
DRaft Executive Airport Master Plan
- Chapter A Introduction and Vision (PDF) – Download
- Chapter B Inventory (PDF) – Download
- Chapter C Forecasts (PDF) – Download
- Chapter D Cap Analysis & Fac Reqs (PDF) – Download
- Chapter E Airport Development Alternatives (PDF) – Download
- Chapter F Noise Ordinance Update (PDF) – Download
- Chapter G Airport Plans (PDF) – Download
- Chapter H Implementation Plan (PDF) – Download
- Chapter I Financial Analysis (PDF) – Download
- Appendix A- Bio Resources (PDF) – Download
- Appendix B- Comm Land Use Opp (PDF) – Download
- Appendix C- Noise Ordinance Update Report (PDF) – Download
- Appendix D- Fullertown Access TTF White Paper (PDF) – Download
Executive Airport Background
- Executive Airport Working Paper 1 (PDF) – Download
- Executive Airport WP 2 Presentation March 2009 (PDF) – Download
- Executive Airport Working Paper 2 (13Mb PDF) – Download
- Executive Airport Working Paper 3 (PDF) – Download
- Executive Noise Analysis Presentation Nov. 2009 (PDF) – Download
- Executive Airport Noise Ordinance Summary (PDF) – Download
- June 08 Community Meeting & Open House Materials (PDF) – Download
2013 REVISED DRAFT MASTER PLAN
Mather Environmental Impact Report. Enter Project Control Number 2002-0325 or Title: Mather Airport Master Plan
Previous Master Plan Documents
Draft Master Plan 2004 (PDF) – Download
Master Plan Revisions 2004 (PDF) - Download
Forecast Update 2008 (PDF) - Download
The Draft Environmental Impact Report (DEIR) for the Mather Airport Draft Master Plan and associated documents (above) was released for public review and comment on Wednesday, July 25, 2012. The DEIR is available on Sacramento County's Environmental Review and Assessment website.